Saturday, June 21, 2014

Gaming History: PC

I was first introduced to video games with Super Mario Bros not on the NES, on some weird console with a keyboard-like controller (can't recall the name), I didn't play at all, my big bro did playing and I only watched beside him and I didn't even wanna play, I was afraid of sucking at the game.
The first game I've ever played was The Amazing Spider-Man on my cousin's PS1, I was like 4 or 5 years old, I loved it so much, I was a Spidey fanboy after all. He also had a Game Boy Color and I also played a heck ton of stuff on it, nothing really memorable though, I remember the game I played the most was also Spider-Man and Monsters Inc., but when playing that PS1, it was something else because I didn't have a game console at the time, my parents thought I was still too young for that sort of stuff and my cousin was already in elementary, understandable.

I had a PC though, it wasn't as powerful as the one in my room now but since I didn't understand computers much, I only used it to play games, the first game was also Spider-Man, fortunately... the game based on the first movie and I never got past level 2. My brother also played a lot of games on the PC, he played car racing games, Need for Speed games mostly, and being the little brother that I am, he picked on me a lot, like when stuff fucked up in his games, he always says it's because of my games and since he knew his way throughout the PC more than I did (maybe until now), he always threatened he was gonna delete my games, not sure if he was just kidding or for real but I thought he was serious and I always had this panic feeling when he was using the computer, in case you're reading this, bro. Fuck you for all the stuff I had to go through! Some other games I played on the PC was Taz Wanted, Sonic Heroes, Sonic Adventure DX and a game about a duck city that I never enjoyed, so not gonna bother discussing that.

Taz Wanted was a game about Looney Tunes' Tazmanian Devil, Taz and the She-Devil (love interest) are captured by Yosemite Sam, Taz escaped, so Sam put guards and wanted posters all over the place and you needs to destroy those wanted posters while running away from the guards, keep going until you rescue the She-Devil. I never finished the game, there are 7 wanted posters in each level, there are 4 hub worlds in total and each hub has 3 levels including a boss battle after you've destroyed all the wanted posters in the 3 levels. I never got past the second hub world, it was so puzzly and platform heavy and playing it with a keyboard was a nightmare and since English isn't my mother language and I was in 1st grade elementary at the time, I didn't know what to do at all when the game gave me hints. I've actually been replaying it and I've made a ton more progress than when I was younger, obviously... I actually still remember some of the dialogs and I ask myself a lot "was I really that dumb?!" simple puns for hints all over the place and I now I can understand them all like it ain't no thing. But somehow taking down the guards and their butterfly net is still a pain, hit detection doesn't connect sometimes, when I hit them when spinning, it's supposed to stun them but I only run into them like running into a pole and they immediately turn around and net my ass up, when I was younger, I didn't have the balls to even get close to them, but now, I wanna take them down, you can stun them temporarily with your spin but it's highly luck-based, that's why I always depend on the phone booths in every level that give you costumes with a special skill that lets you permanently take the guards down, you do lose the costume when you take a guard down but there's no limit on how many times you can enter a phone booth and get another costume.

Sonic Heroes is my first ever Sonic game, I was in 2nd elementary if I recall correctly, it's turned me into a Sonic fan I am today, it still has a special place in my heart. My second Sonic game is Sonic Adventure DX, I know, looking at the release dates, Sonic Heroes comes after Sonic Adv DX, but that's the order how I played them. I still remember how my bro's steering wheel for his racing games screwed up with the controls of Sonic Heroes, I can't recall experiencing that in DX but, it's like the characters always run towards the camera, I never got past even the first level, until years later when I found out I could just pull the steering wheel's plug off. I still couldn't finish the game as anyone but Team Rose, I couldn't get past the rising lava phase of Power Plant stage, since Team Rose's levels are way shorter and easier, the Power Plant level has no lava phase. I also got past Power Plant as Team Chaotix since their levels are mostly about collecting stuff instead of reaching the goal ring and I didn't like collecting stuff in Sonic games because it drags out the levels too long sometimes, but I got stuck in Rail Canyon, the only level that has Team Chaotix reach the goal ring.
With Sonic Adv DX, I had no problem with the game, I remember being afraid of the boss Chaos 4, and I can't stand Big's fishing levels, I only finished the game as Tails because he can fly, and have an easier time avoiding Chaos 4's attack, with time, I finished all the other character's stories... except Big the Cat...


I finished these Sonic games when I was 12 or 13, with Sonic DX, I'd finally mustered up the endurance to finish Big the Cat's story and finished the entire game, with Sonic Heroes, I had a harder time, finishing each Team's story was no problem to me, but the Chaos Emerald special stages really raped me, it was hard enough already playing it with a keyboard, and the controls feel so slippery like they're running in butter shoes on a heated frying pan. Not gonna tell you the details on how my experience of collecting the emeralds was and I also doubt you wanna know, I entered the true Last story and finished the game.

I really felt the progress, I've grown and those things that seemed impossible to me seems like a total joke now. Now I still have the Taz Wanted hole to cover up, not gonna bother with Spider-Man the Movie game, and that duck-in-town game was never really enjoyable, so... forget them, not even worth covering. Until next time! Cheers

No comments:

Post a Comment