Friday, July 3, 2015

Grand Theft Auto V

Grand Theft Auto V
It’s time to review the most controversial game ever. You know, that game with tons of graphic examples for kids how to be next generation Hitler, Jack the Ripper and Vlad the Impaler mixed together into a casserole with evil cheese sauce dressing. With the success of GTA IV along with the 2 additional episodes with different characters, Rockstar thought of making the next GTA a whole package with Michael, Franklin and Trevor.

GAMEPLAY
It’s a sandbox crime game, like every previous GTA with a bunch of side activities. This time you can switch characters on the fly, it feels like each character is a living human with their own lives going in the background besides incinerating sidewalkers. The main campaign is great with all the plannable heists, if only there were more of those. Side activities also don’t have much depth, just some base jumping, sport events, assassination for Franklin, rampage for Trevor and some other side activities,  like back in Ballad of Gay Tony, Luis can gather his buddies Armando and Henrique to go on drug wars, why can’t we gather the 3 guys for side heists or something. I know that wouldn’t go well with the ending, but they’re just side activities with no story relation, why not? It’s also quite tricky to gather the trio in free roam,  why can’t we just have a conference to gather somewhere and start chaos, instead when we come across a character, we’re discouraged to approach them by making the automated character shooing the playable and if you keep following him, he’ll punch you in the face instantly killing you in a short cutscene. Just when I thought I could actually fistfight or gun down a friendly.
So free roam gets boring quite easily. The story missions however, are mostly fun. I expected a lot more shootout, but I guess with more of those in it, there wouldn’t be much variety like stealth bits, hacking, torture, and the torturous yoga. I failed missions from dying a bit, sometimes it’s for messing around and going too far from the objective and the most is fucking yoga. I also love how every character has a special ability with Franklin’s driving precision ability, Michael’s bullet time that looks like Max Payne’s and instead of getting another heightened precision slow-mo ability, trevor gets a rage mode, ya know, the usual less damage taken, more damage dealt while the screen covered in rage-inducing vignette.

STORY
I must say this is the GTA with the best story so far, all 3 characters have a connected plot, but behind it, each also has their own side of unique story. Franklin’s plot is about him getting out of his small-time gangster life with Lamar and the OG Grove St. gang, going up the food chain and raising his Gs while not entirely abandoning the OG. Michael is about a zombie... No seriously, Mike faked his death, moved to Los Santos to lay low, but he eventually gets bored and his family also doesn’t like him going into retirement and feeling like shit, so he rises back up from his “grave” to score some hard cash, he kinda has 2 plots about family issues and going back into his game. Trevor though, his plot is about fucking shit up, and some trust issues with Michael. They’re all interesting and sometimes I get my head tangled in the plot trying to connect them all.
In this game, we see tons of colorful characters, all GTAs have always been like this, I remember when I was a kid playing San Andreas always losing track of all the characters, it’s a good thing I’ve grown to distinctively know them better and the characters in GTA V are also quite colorful personality-wise, mostly are stereotypes though, and I was sure I hated every single character until I met Trevor, he’s just a blast to see in cutscenes with his rambling and drastic actions. From all 3 protagonists, I must say that the TRULY main character is Franklin, he kinda has the traits of basic game protagonist type-0, shut up and follow orders, he does make some character development by the end, but most of the time, he’s the pawn and always told to do stuff.
GRAPHICS
I play the PC version, do you need to ask?  This game’s already gorgeous on last gen consoles, Rockstar’s really made all that delay worth it. I still encounter graphical glitches like models going all over the place, lighting flickery but they barely happen.





The major problems with visual though, is the HUD, the default simple aiming reticle so tiny, I had to set it to complex and this game is like an annoying girlfriend who keeps saying she's fine while clearly she's pissed, that tiny health bar under the minimap is just so excruciatingly unnoticeable, when playing a game with lots of shooting, I wanna know clearly when I get shot and where it came from, especially when I’m a poke away from death. 
Everything is so well-animated in this game, every single thing like even the movement of hair and clothes blown by the wind is noticed. I know we all can live without it, you’re not gonna lose sleep over it, you won’t feel a disturbance in the force, but it’s nice to have those little details.




MUSIC
The first thing I notice in this game is actual BGM in certain points in a mission, in every previous GTAs, I have to rely on radio stations just to make sure the silence doesn’t put me to sleep. Like in a chase mission, you don’t think about finding a suitable music, you just go, in other GTAs I often find myself having a driving shootout while having classical or smooth jazz blasting from the radio and foot chase feels so tedious, GTA V actually has the decency of shutting the radio off immediately to kick the music in for the moment, after that, you can always switch it back, but I personally prefer the game’s BGM.

CONCLUSION

This game is like a warm chocolate milk, it’s so sweet and awesome while it lasts, but a while after you finish that mug, you just wanna fall asleep. Playing through the story is so good, it’s immersive, I seriously didn’t want it to end so quickly, it lasted pretty long, but not long enough and replaying missions just doesn’t feel as fun anymore. Basically, this game needs more offline contents because most of the truly sweet stuff is planned for GTA online and I’m one of those people who doesn’t wanna be tied down by internet connection just to play a game (my internet connection sucks, SHUT UP!) or maybe I just need a friend to play with. Overall, it’s an awesome game, but it’s still lacking in side activities, I’m a fucking forever alone bastard and FUCK YOGA! This game gets 9/10












No comments:

Post a Comment